Puente medieval

En el puente actual se pueden ver restos de las distintas etapas en las que se ha construido y reparado desde la Edad Media hasta hoy.

El primero constaba de 13 arcos apuntados y dos torres defensivas, una seguramente en el centro y otra probablemente en el acceso de la margen izquierda. Sabemos que se reedifica entre los siglos XVI y XVII, y que sufre nuevos derrumbes con las avenidas de 1775 y 1783, teniendo que habilitarse el paso mediante la construcción y arrendamiento del uso de un barco. Diversas obras de reparación no impidieron que en el XIX presentara estado de ruina, por lo que tuvo que reedificarse de nuevo en este siglo cambiando su morfología. Una nueva riada en 1871 obliga la construcción de un nuevo arco de gran luz.

Hoy lo que vemos es un puente con nueve ojos y distintas luces, siendo las arcadas de la margen izquierda las más antiguas.

El puente defendía el paso del Ebro de la frontera de Navarra y Castilla y es posible que su primera construcción esté vinculada al menos con el año 1172 en el que se concede el fuero de Sancho el Sabio de Navarra a San Vicente, e incluso antes como creen algunos autores.

La historia del puente se vincula a las numerosas riadas que le han afectado, al carácter de frontera, y a formar parte de los grandes caminos reales por los que discurrían muchas personas y mercancías.

  The medieval bridge

The bridge has undergone several transformations over time, which are the result of the repairs made after the damage caused by the habitual flooding of the river. Its current appearance is, therefore, a reflection of different stages.
 
Originally, the bridge consisted of 13 pointed arches and two defensive towers, one located in the center and the other probably close to the access from the left bank. The first major modification occurred between the 16th and 17th centuries, when ten of the pointed arches – the westernmost ones – were replaced by nine rounded arches. By then the structure only preserved the central tower in a state of ruin, since it had long since lost its military function. The bridge would suffer new collapses with the floods of 1775 and 1783, which mainly affected the three westernmost arches. As a result, the passage was disabled for decades and a barge had to be used to cross the river, until two arches were built in 1845 in substitution of the previous ones. The last modification would take place 26 years later when, after another flood that destroyed three arches of the middle zone of the bridge, the great central arch that can be observed nowadays was built instead.
 
Since then, the bridge has preserved its current characteristic structure of 9 spans.
 
The bridge defended the passage of the Ebro river, that constituted the border between the Navarre and Castile kingdoms for centuries. It was also used for the collection of a toll for the right of transit of travelers and merchandise, the so-called ‘pontazgo’.
   

© 2019 San Vicente de la Sonsierra. Todos los derechos reservados.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.