Torre Mayor

Es la construcción más antigua del recinto fortificado construido por los reyes de Navarra levantada probablemente por Ferrant Moro hacia 1172. Fue diseñada como torre exenta que serviría de atalaya y refugio para una pequeña guarnición. La puerta de acceso no fue la actual, sino una elevada a la que se accedería mediante estructuras de madera fácilmente defendibles en caso de peligro.

La organización interior debió de ser de tres plantas, la principal debió sufrir un incendio que calcinó la piedra de los muros, como muestran ahora amplias zonas de piedras enrojecidas.

Se reutiliza en el Siglo XIX, primero como lugar de enterramiento cuando el cementerio de San Vicente se ubica en el recinto superior del castillo; y después como sede de una guarnición destacada durante las Guerras Carlistas.

  The Torre Mayor

The ‘Torre Mayor’ (or main tower) is the oldest building of the fortified enclosure. It is believed to have been built around 1172 by Ferrant Moro, following the demands of king Sancho VI of Navarre. The tower would have originally been used as a watchtower to defend both the hill and the ford zone over the Ebro river where, decades later, the medieval bridge would be erected.
 
It was built using sandstone masonry and originally designed as a freestanding tower with a single raised access door on its northwestern façade. This was reached thanks to a wooden structure, making the door easy to defend in case of an attack.
 
It had three floors, of which the first one was set on fire at an unknown date, as evidenced by the reddened stone walls.
 
The tower would be re-used in the 19th century, first as a burial place when the cemetery moved to the upper enclosure of the castle, and then to host the garrison that defended the fortress during the Carlist Wars.
    

Fotofrafía año 1910. Baluarte de las guerras carlistas

© 2019 San Vicente de la Sonsierra. Todos los derechos reservados.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.