La muralla del recinto fortificado

El recinto fortificado de San Vicente de la Sonsierra se forma por un lienzo amurallado que delimita un amplio espacio, en cuyo interior hubo casas, cuevas o bodegas y trujales, algunas de las cuales todavía hoy permanecen en uso.

La fortaleza de San Vicente se comienza a levantar en torno a 1.172, aunque es probable que se alzara sobre otra anterior. Se organiza en tres recintos escalonados adaptándose a la topografía del cerro, el más externo es también el más antiguo.

La muralla no tiene cimentación y apoya directamente sobre la roca; levantándose en algunos tramos sobre el potente escarpe rocoso de hasta 15 metros de altura. La muralla inferior que delimitaba el gran espacio interior o cortijo debió construirse entre los finales del siglo XIII y principios del XIV, y presenta en la actualidad un aspecto muy desigual, siendo una construcción de piedra de sillería, en la que se fueron alternando cubos, algunos de los cuales todavía hoy permanecen en pie.

Las casas construidas en períodos posteriores así como los hundimientos por la propia debilidad estructural han alterado mucho su estructura.

En el muro que cierra el recinto en la parte inferior hubo dos puertas, una todavía se conserva en pie y, junto a ella, quedan restos de la medieval más antigua. El otro acceso estuvo en el lado noroeste y fue conocido como la Puerta de Salas.

The wall of the fortified enclosure

The castle of San Vicente de la Sonsierra is made up of two walled enclosures. The upper one corresponds to the original fortress, which began to be erected around 1172, although it is likely that there was a previous structure on the top of the hill.

 The lower and wider enclosure dates from the late 13th or early 14th century and was known as the ‘cerca’. It consists of a 2 m thick wall that stands without any foundations on a natural rocky escarpment, making the fortress even more impregnable. Its maximum height is unknown, but it would have probably reached more than 6 m. This was interspersed by rectangular towers, of which at present only two examples in its southern section are preserved. The walls were built using masonry of regular blocks of up to 70 cm in length, which attests to the investment made to provide the fortress with formidable defences.

 Two gates gave access to the interior of the lower enclosure. The Primicia or Navarre one, located to the east, had an impressive aspect with an angled configuration and a closing system consisting of a spiked gate. The gate of Salas, located to the north, had more modest dimensions and connected with the road that departed to the nearby village of Labastida

 Through the gates, an ample interior space delimited by the wall and called ‘cortijo’ welcomed the outsiders. This space hosted the houses and wineries of the villagers from the 14th to 19th centuries. The collapse of some dwellings in 1898 led the Provincial Government to evacuate this area. In the meantime, people migrated outside the walls, creating new neighborhoods.


© 2019 San Vicente de la Sonsierra. Todos los derechos reservados.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.